Wednesday 31 December 2014

culled from:http://www.metro.us


 


A Linzer Cookie cutter allows you to make sandwich cookies with a special design cut out of the top cookie. This particular Linzer Cookie Cutter is designed especially for Christmas cookies. There are 
 other designs available.    
 You can use any cookie cutters to make Linzer Cookies. Just have two cutters available, one smaller than the other.
Once you've made your Linzer Cookie dough, it needs to be refrigerated. In the first recipe I made, I divided my dough in half. Then I flattened each half between two pieces of wax paper. I placed them on a plate and into the refrigerator. I then rolled it out, removed the wax paper and placed the dough, one at a time, onto my bread board and cut-out my cookies.The other recipe called for rolling the dough out on a baking sheet and then refrigerating it again.I cut the cookies out on the baking sheet. Cut half of the cookies using the larger cutter and the other half either use the Linzer cutter with the insert or used the large and then the small cutter for the middle hole.Remove the excess dough around the cut cookies before baking.
After using this method, I found that it was better to roll and cut on a floured bread board. Using a scraper, I moved the cookies from the bread board to a lightly greased baking sheet.   
After the cookies are baked, cool them on the pan for 2 minutes. Place cookies directly on the racks. Cool completely before spreading the bottoms with jam or jelly.I turned my top cookies with the hole in the middle upside down and dipped them into the powdered sugar. You could also just dust the tops with powdered sugar, but be sure to do it before placing them on the jam-covered bottoms. Otherwise, powdered sugar will get into the holes and cover the jam.To make my Linzer Cookies, I used strawberry jam for the red ones and mint jelly for the green ones. Of course, other jams and jellies maybe used.

I stored my cookies in a regular cookie jar. I could have almost left them just on a plate on the kitchen counter as they didn't last very long.                                                                                                                   
                                                                                                                         

0 comments:

Post a Comment