Wednesday 31 December 2014

culled from:http://tweakyourbiz.com
When you think of leaders and leadership what or who do you think about? For many it is Barack Obama, Nelson Mandella or maybe Richard Branson, or even Michael O’Leary…for me it is my mother first and foremost.

I was asked the question some months ago at a training event and that is the answer I gave.  You should have seen the strange looks!  You too might think me a little strange for saying that but here’s the thing: she has been at the helm of our family for the last 50 years (though I haven’t been around quite that long!!).  She has lead the move from country to country, house to house.  She has instilled in us a desire to achieve and to be our best.  She has encouraged and motivated us and yes, quite frequently she has delivered her no-nonsense “constructive criticism” and “negative feedback”.

She has taught us by example.  She has rolled-up her sleeves and got stuck in to help us out when we needed it.  She has given us responsibility and made us accountable for our actions.  She has listened to us and given her advice and support.  She has helped us to set goals and given us direction. She has allowed us to grow and to make our own mistakes and has encouraged us to think for ourselves and to seek our own solutions. She has inspired us!

To me, these are all the things that encompass a great leader and they are what leadership means to me – what does it mean to you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment