Friday 27 February 2015






How to eat better: Healthy-eating tips 1-5



culled from:canadianliving.com

1. Keep a food journal.
I've learned, both from research studies and experience, that the most important tool for weight loss or any dietary change is a food diary (in which you keep note of every single thing you eat throughout the day for at least a week). It helps you track what you're eating, makes you accountable and makes it easier for you to identify areas for change. 

2. Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day.
Even though I've sometimes had to skip it, I always feel more energetic and alert when I have it. My best mornings start with a tall, nonfat latte that I drink in a café after my walk. Back home, I eat either oatmeal (sometimes topped with fresh fruit), whole wheat bread with cheese or with peanut butter, or cottage cheese with fresh fruit. These are healthful choices, and the protein fills me enough to keep me going all morning.

3. Small steps can add up to big permanent changes – whether you are trying to lose weight, lower cholesterol or simply feel better. For instance, I measured the amount of oil I used in several of my recipes and cut it in half. I did this with stir-fry, one of my favourites; it still tastes delicious, and I save about 150 calories each time I eat it – which is about once a week. Over a year, that adds up to 7,800 calories – or a weight loss of two pounds.

4. Eat slowly. It's a wonderful way to savour your food – and to eat less. Slow eating has become second nature for me, and many of my clients have found it helpful. Start by putting your fork down between bites, chewing a bit more or cutting food into smaller pieces.

5. Give in to your love of sweets, but do it with control. I love chocolate (and wish it were one of the food groups), so I still eat it. But now I buy only top-quality chocolate, for its exceptional taste, and eat a small piece, really savouring it. If I need just a little chocolate fix, I sprinkle chocolate on my latte or make myself a sugar-free hot chocolate.

10 comments:

  1. create time to even when you don;t feel like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adegoke Saheed Kolade:
    Too little food and too many food spoil your health. eat as at when due.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is not always about when you eat but what you eat. Good food tends to nourish the body and makes you live long. OKANLAWON BOLA HABEEB

    ReplyDelete
  4. educating the society about what and how to eat is very important. only few people understand all these

    ReplyDelete
  5. good diet culture...good living

    SUNMONU ADEBAYO SAMUEL

    ReplyDelete
  6. TIJANI LATIFAT IBIDUNNI
    For a healtheir living it's advisable to note the kind of meals we take in to enable us know to enable us know the kind of nutrients we take in our system.

    ReplyDelete
  7. DURODOLA TAIWO OLUBISI
    Its advisable from this article to understand the constituents of the food we eat inorder to have a healthier life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BOLARINWA ABIODUN IDRIS
    Its good to know your nutrients intake

    ReplyDelete
  9. AKANBI OLUBUKOLA ITUNU
    ITS WORTHY OF NOTE TO WATCH THE KIND OF NUTRIENTS WE TAKE IN SO THAT WE COULD MAINTAIN A HEALTHY LIFE

    ReplyDelete
  10. AGBAJE ADESHOLA MICHAEL
    ITS ALWAYS GOOD TO MONITOR THE NUTRIENTS WE TAKE IN

    ReplyDelete