Tuesday 3 February 2015






culled from:www.lifehack.org
I started wearing nerdy glasses when my eyesight started to decline in sixth grade. My vision continued to get worse over the years and I never thought much of it; I was focused on why I weighed 300 pounds instead. Eventually, I started eating better and lost a ton of weight. The benefits of eating superfoods certainly improved my outward appearance, but I did not realize how much more it was doing for my overall health until the day I went to see my optometrist. When I went to the eye doctor for the first time in four years, he had good news for a change. My vision was almost 20/20 again! Of course, my story is merely anecdotal, but check out this infographic for yourself!
According to Harvard Medical School, superfoods such as black currants, wild caught salmon, kale, flaxseed, sardines, spinach, chickpeas, and oysters contain antioxidants that fight free radicals that cause damage to our DNA. Antioxidants found in these foods are thought to protect our eye’s retina from damage, says Dr. Ivana Kim from Harvard Medical School.
Foods containing large amounts of the nutrients lutein and zeaxanthin can reduce the risk of chronic eye disease. While a diet rich in vitamins C and E, beta carotene, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids assist in preventing age-related eye diseases.
As a bonus, you can also protect your sight by giving up smoking, exercising regularly, balancing your blood sugar, and avoiding trans fats, sugar, and fake sugars.
Are you ready to swap your nerdy glasses for a can of sardines?
Superfoods-for-Sight-Infographic

0 comments:

Post a Comment