Wednesday, 14 January 2015





culled from:about.com

In the quest to achieve a higher quality of work-life balance, I have always tried to look for good examples of fathers who have done better than I have in balancing work and life, family and job. These five successful entrepreneur CEO fathers have some great advice for those of us who still struggle with finding an always elusive work-life balance.
Richard Branson - Getty Images
Getty Images

1.  Richard Branson, CEO of Virgin Airways on Work-Life Balance

If you are struggling to juggle your home life with your career commitments, both can suffer. Part of the solution may be to treat time with your family as a priority. When you're facing an avalanche of appointments, book time to spend with your family -- put it in your work diary. You will also need to prepare your colleagues for those times when an emergency will come up at home and you'll need to drop everything to deal with it, because this is almost certain to happen.
But rather than thinking of these two aspects of your life as antagonistic, why not combine them? As I've often said, I don't divide work and play: It's all living.
Just as you'll help your kids with their homework, you may find that they can take part in yours. Of course, this doesn't apply to everyone, but discussing your work with them can be a good way to spend time together and can help you see problems from a new perspective. Some of my best ideas came from conversations with [my children] Holly and Sam. More »
Sending Food To USA Is Easy Again. We File All Required Forms For You.
Download Business Plan Template Fill the Blanks & Get the Job Done!
Ryan Smith - Courtesy of Qualtrics
Courtesy of Qualtrics

2.  Ryan Smith, co-founder of Qualtrics on Work-Life Balance

As every parent knows, having children is a life-changing experience. But since I'm committed to being engaged in all areas of my life, I knew that I needed to do some fine-tuning. So I took a step back, reevaluated things and then developed a strategy.
First, I calculated how and where I spend my time. This assessment has allowed me to be realistic and selective about what I do and when I do it. Every founder should do this because founders have a tendency to feel like they're getting run over and not performing well in any role, be it husband or wife, father or mother, or CEO.
Each week, I examine the categories of my life - father, husband, CEO, self - and identify the specific actions that help me feel successful and fulfilled in these capacities. This weekly ritual helps me feel like I'm doing everything in my power to address my needs and the needs of those around me. This is important because I can't lose sight of the business agenda, and we've all seen or read about what it looks like when you lose sight of your family's needs.
I'm passionate about what I do. Often, I have trouble "turning it off" when I leave the office. So one rule I've established is 'no screens during family time.' It may sound easy, but when it's time to go home, I leave my phone in the car.
I sometimes ask myself: "How do I save the best part of myself for my kids?" When I'm home, it's crucial that I'm totally present, and the no screen rule helps me do this. More »
Joe Barton of Barton Publishing - Courtesy of JoeBarton.net
Courtesy of JoeBarton.net

3.  Joe Barton, Founder of Barton Publishing on Work-Life Balance

I know many entrepreneurs who end up clocking in 16-hour workdays instead of stepping back and reevaluating what's working and what's not. On the other hand, it's always possible to work too little, leaving your business with untapped potential. So, what's the best way to strike a harmony between these two extremes?
Here are three tips:
1. Prioritize. It's best to set reasonable goals that align with your purpose and passions. What do you care about most? Where do you need to spend your time? And what's the best way to strike a balance between the two?
2. Track your progress. Heading a successful business isn't just about philosophy, though. It's also about making tough decisions -- especially when it comes to nose-to-the-grindstone hard work. That's why it's key to have accountability systems in place, like measuring your numbers on a daily basis.
Keeping track of daily metrics is key to charting and sustaining growth in profits as well as the size of your company. After all, it's dangerous to hire new employees without knowing if you can afford to hire more staff or what positions you need to hire for. In addition, knowing your metrics will also help you chart the performance of your current employees, so you can be a more informed, helpful leader.
3. Ask for help. Your first and best resource is your staff. Your second is your dedication and passion. But there's another resource that remains untapped to many entrepreneurs: your fellow entrepreneurs.  Reach out. Find a community. And find a mentor. You'll find that fellow entrepreneurs can offer perspective and insight into how to grow your business in a smart, sustainable way -- without putting a strain on your personal life. More »
Show Up In Searches & On The Map. Get Your Free Google Profile Today.
Study At Home In Nigeria. No VISA Available. Apply Online!
Paul Schmitz - Courtesy of PublicAllies.org
Courtesy of PublicAllies.org

4.  Paul Schmitz, CEO of Public Allies on Work-Life Balance

As a single father and CEO, I believe strongly in life-work balance and over time have crafted three principles that guide me: First, there is never a good time to go on vacation so I just have to schedule it and do it. There are so many demands on my schedule that make it difficult to just take off. I say this to staff when they ask about their own vacation needs. If I wait for things to slow down so I can do it, it will not happen. Burn-out is subtle and often creeps up over time as the combination of constant action and routine limit my creative juices and energy. I just have to make the time and then hold it sacrosanct.
Second, if I am so indispensable that I cannot be on vacation without being totally plugged in, I am not doing my job as a leader. Last August, I was five minutes into a board meeting - the meeting when we pass our annual goals and budgets - when I learned that my son had lacerated his chin and was on his way to Children's Hospital. I had to leave the meeting right then, which was fine because my COO knew everything I knew, was on the same page as me, and was able to lead the staff side of the meeting for the rest of the day.
Third, staff may only contact me about things that are absolutely urgent and that only I can handle. My iPhone is my weather, my news, my GPS, my music, my phone, and my email so it of course travels with me, but I am not tied to it. On this trip, I took one call, a reference for a close colleague that had to be done before I returned. I did glance at my email, but I had the auto-reply on and, according to my "sent" folder, only sent five work emails during the week. More »
Todd Hills - Courtesy of LinkedIn.com
Courtesy of LinkedIn.com

5.  Todd Hills, CEO of Pawngo on Work-Life Balance

As the CEO of a startup, striking a good work-life balance is especially challenging. If you're an entrepreneur or CEO that is currently building a company, the concept of moderation probably isn't part of your vocabulary. But, I have learned the hard way that it is precisely what will ensure the success of your company, your family and ultimately, your sanity. Here are a few things that help me maintain balance:
Make Time for Your Kids. I am a father of six kids. My youngest just finished 2nd grade and my oldest is going into her second year of college. There will always be time for your kids if you make time. Coaching my son's basketball team is the best part of my week. Laughing with your kids is a great way to relax.
Physical Health Creates Financial Wealth. Eat well and work out. If I don't make time to exercise before work every day, I feel lethargic. My daily workout out gives me a dose of personal time.
Don't Take Your Work Home With You. When you leave the office, leave your work at the door. Building a company usually means that the work never stops. I have found that when I intentionally take a break from thinking about work, my focus improves and my ideas are fresher. More »

0 comments:

Post a Comment